Project Details

✔ Project has been published!

Results Chart for Delivery Method and Financing

Delivery Method

DBB/CMAR
# of Projects: 1
100% of the Results

Background informationProject Created: November 14, 2010

Project Name: KenGen 280MW Geothermal Power Plant
Year in Operation:
Sector: Energy
Subsector: Energy Distribution, Energy Generation
Status: Design / Construction
Type: New Facility
Description: The geothermal project will involve the installation of four 70MW power generating machines, steam gathering systems, construction of substations, transmissions lines and other necessary infrastructure. When it is complete, it will be the largest geothermal plant in the country of Kenya
Delivery Method as described in the country where it's located: EPC
Is the project still active: Yes
Comments: An EPC contract will be executed for the power plant construction, while a Design-Build Contract will be awarded for the transmission lines and substations, and a Procure & Construct with owners design for the geothermal steamfields

Project Locations

Address:
City: Rift Valley
State:
Country: Kenya, Republic of

Address: Olkaria Gate, Rift Valley, Kenya
City: Rift Valley
State:
Country: Kenya, Republic of

Address: Olkaria Gate
City: Rift Valley
State:
Country: Kenya, Republic of

Souces of Project Support (Non-monetary)

Checkbox Checked Land: The public project owner is using a combination of allocated government owned land, and private land purchased outright to be used for the project
Checkbox Checked Access to Land: The project owner provides full access to the land during design and construction
Checkbox Checked Environmental Clearance: A full EIA has been carried out on the complete project and application made to the Kenya NEMA for a license, which has been granted.

Souces of Project Support (Monetary)

Checkbox Checked

From Public (Government) Sources to Producers: The project owner is a technically considered a "private entity" in Kenya, although it is 70% owned by the government. It is contributing approximately 15% of the total project cost as a direct cash contribution to the project. The remaining 85% of the total project costs are financed through various entities such as the EIB, Kfw, AFD, JICA, and IDA providing funding as loans with Sovereign guarantees.

Arrow Right
Checkbox Checked

Credit Enhancements: Sovereign guarantees.

Checkbox Checked

From Private Capital Markets Directly to Producers as Debt: The remaining 85% of the total project costs are financed through various entities such as the EIB, Kfw, AFD, JICA, and IDA providing funding as loans with Sovereign guarantees.

Project Delivery & Finance Method

Project Delivery:
All Public Finance. Public Sponsor contracts for initial design, and separately contracts for initial construction. Public Owner operates and maintains the resulting facility.
Construction Manager At Risk Variants: Public Sponsor contracts with Construction Contractor after Design is Complete.

Procurement Approach

Project Component
Qualifications
Based Selection
Request for
Qualifications
Request for
Proposals
Invitation
for Bids
Unsolicited
Proposals
Design
X
X

Term for Key Components & Forms of Contract

Project Component
Years
Quarters
Initial Design and Construction
2
2
Forms
Description
FIDIC
FIDIC 1999 Suite of Documents 

Project Value (If and As Known)

Date of Estimated Project Value: November 14, 2010
Project Value
Hard Cost
Hard & Soft Costs
Total
$2-10 Billion US
(none)

Warning!!!

You are about to delete: .

Confirm Deletion Cancel